Monday, December 14, 2009

word of the day: rime


word of the day: rime, originally uploaded by aimos325.

Anchorage was cloaked with fog all last week [I can see the lights of
downtown tonight so I think it's cleared up a bit]. Everything is
coated in this soft, frosty ice. I thought it was hoarfrost (learned
that in HS english) but when I googled it I think it's more of a "soft
rime
" because it was deposited from fog. The slightest breeze sends a
cascade of crystals through the tree branches but we haven't had a
lick of wind. It's absolutely gorgeous out there, which is a nice
treat as we march on towards the solstice. (this is the view from my
balcony this afternoon)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow that is beautiful!

Shawn said...

Beautiful pic! And what poetic language Aimee! I wonder if you can hear the ice crystals fall if there is a slight breeze.

Aimee said...

haha, yes, I was being flowery. Thought I'd mention it but figured the post was long enough.

JimR said...

Wow! Very pretty! THe first time I heard of Rime Frost was on the cell phone from mom 2500 miles away...

Mum: Aimee Posted pictures of Rime Frost.

Me: What?

Mum: Aimee Posted pictures of RIME FROST.

Me: What?

Mum: RIME FROST!!!


(repete this about 5 more times...)

Me: It sounds like you are saying Rime froth

Mum: I am! I am!!

(I don't think mum was too happy with me :-/ )

Aimee said...

LOL, I can just hear it now. :-)