Thursday, December 06, 2007

proof


proof, originally uploaded by aimos325.

the guy I'm interviewing with said no one would believe I was in
Alaska if I didn't have a picture of the pipeline.

Fact: those things sticking out of the top are radiators to keep the
ground frozen around the supports. Also, the pipe expands and
contracts-- there are teflon sliders under it so it can move freely.
All things I learned today ;-)

3 comments:

JimR said...

That's crazy! So theoretically you could warm yourself by the thermofrost radiators - Right? But do the have the opposite effect in the summer?? Do they have to take them off??

What a cool place!

Aimee said...

I think it's more important in the summer than the winter-- the sun and heat warms up the metal supports, and since there's "discontinuous permafrost" they want to keep the ground frozen around the supports.

Also I noticed there was no snow under the pipeline. The guy I was with said that since the wind doesn't blow much, the snow doesn't get under stuff. The pipeline was 5 or 6 feet above ground.

Shawn said...

Interesting. Hey, my cousin Debbie worked on the Alaska Pipeline. I don't know what she did on the pipeline, but last I knew she was a CAD operator - maybe she did that type of work on it. She's the same cousin that did Roller Derby - that is how I knew her - her team came to Detroit. (Unlike you, I have a ton of cousins, most of whom I don't know, most of whom are much older than me and some that are older than my parents.) Anyhow, my dad went to her roller derby match and then he brought her to our house - this was probably 35 years ago.